Member Login

Our History

On July 20, 1947, there was a banner headline in the Charlotte Observer: NEW COUNTRY CLUB TO BE BUILT ON CARMEL ROAD. The paper reported that an old golf course of eighty- four acres, left to go to ruin in World War II, was being transformed! 

The story began when a group of prominent businessmen envisioned a new golf and social club for Charlotte. Banks McClintock, who was chosen to head the membership committee, suggested that they call the club Green Valley. Herbert Hitch suggested Meadowbrook Country Club. A discussion followed, with no trace of progress, until Gayle Rodgers finally came up with a solution. Instead of trying for something poetic, why not simply name the club for the road which skirted the ragged edge of their land? And that is how Carmel Country Club got its name. 

The first clubhouse opened in 1949, and the golf course, designed by George Cobb, opened in 1950. In 1965, membership had grown to over 500 members facilitating the need for a new clubhouse, pool and expanded golf facilities. In November 1967, the current clubhouse was completed.

In 1967, work started on the North Course, and in 1998 it was expanded to 18 holes and to a par 72. In 1998, the clubhouse was expanded to include the Grill, new kitchens and Fitness Center. The classic warmth of Carmel, symbolized by the lamppost lined drive, is always apparent, drawing new faces in and telling the story of its past. 

Carmel has earned recognition as a Platinum Club of America, a Five Star Private Club and was named the number 13 private club in America by Club Leaders Forum. Carmel appreciates all these fine recognitions, but we take our greatest pride in our family atmosphere and all the wonderful moments members have experienced and shared over the years. Carmel is a symbol of tradition in Charlotte, a place where the whole family loves to be, and everyone feels more at home.